The Seishun 18 (Juhachi) Kippu: A Value Ticket for Unlimited Travel on the JR Lines
There is no need to stress the importance of knowing how to use the train lines in order to make your travel through Japan a more wonderful experience. We’d like to introduce you to a very convenient ticket called the Seishun 18 (Juhachi) Kippu (translates to “Youthful 18 Ticket”) which lets you travel throughout Japan for an economical price. Do make use of it. Ref: Photo
What is the Seishun 18 Kippu
This is a ticket that offers a very good deal; you get a one-day unlimited travel on the local and rapid JR lines, BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) and the JR West Miyajima Ferry (JR Nishinihon Miyajima Ferry). There is no age limit, and you can travel throughout Japan for a flat price of 2,370JPY.
Related: The Three Most Scenic Spots of Japan—Miyajima/Itsukushima Shrine
Details of the Seishun 18 Kippu
It is divided in 3 terms; Spring/Summer/Winter. (The below is for the year 2016).
- Selling Period: 2/20 – 3/31, Valid for Use: 3/1 – 4/10
- Selling Period: 7/1 – 8/31, Valid for Use: 7/20 – 9/10
- Selling Period: 12/1 – 12/31, Valid for Use: 12/10 – 1/10[margin_15b]
There are fixed selling periods and usage periods and the ticket cannot be used across the seasons. This means that if you were to have an unused Seishun 18 ticket that you purchased in Spring, you wouldn’t be able to use it in the next season, which is Summer. Also, the ticket is valid for the duration which is about a month. Once past this period, the ticket becomes invalid.
11,850 JPY/ 5 tickets (2,370 JPY/person)
The Seishun 18 ticket comes in a set of 5. A single person can use all 5 tickets and travel for 5 days. Or 5 people can use it simultaneously for a single day. However, as you can see in the image above, they are made so that they cannot be separated. Therefore, if multiple people are using it together, you must all be together when passing through the station.
Where to Purchase
- The station ticket office “Midori no Madoguchi (Green window)
- Ticket vending machines within the station
- Major travel agencies, etc.
How to Use
On your first ride/use, you have a station staff stamp your ticket with the date. For the duration of the one day that is indicated on the stamp, you are free to travel through all eligible JR lines. Once you have the ticket stamped, from the next ride you just have to show the date stamp to the station staff. Just be careful the tickets cannot be used at the automated ticket gates.
Points to Keep Note
- It is only valid for about 1 month
- Even if you have a portion leftover from the 5day-worth of tickets, it is non-refundable (If you have not used a single day of it, it is refundable)
- There is no child’s fare; children pay the same as adults, 2,370 JPY for 1 day[margin_15b]
There are cases where they apply 10% to 30% at JR affiliated hotels (I.E. JR affiliated hotels near Hachinohe Station or Tohoku Shinkansen Line)
Who the Ticket is Suited For
Because using this ticket will mean a lot of time spent on transportation and transfers, it is suited for the traveler who is not rushed for time and enjoys the process of transportation as a part of travel.
- For those who want save on travel expenses
- For those who like riding on trains
- For those who want to enjoy slow and relaxed transportation enjoys the passing scenery visible from the train window
- For those who will take many short rides on the train during a single day
For the More Advanced Traveler
In areas closer to big cities, there are rapid lines (vs local lines) that allow for use of the Seishun 18 ticket. Therefore, you will be able to cut down on transportation time (the downside of this way of travelling being that you will spend a lot of time on the train), and you will have less transfers. As a result, you will be able to make many round trips in a single day, often making your savings worth to about a few-dozen thousand yen. The below are very convenient rapid train lines that can be used by paying an additional few hundred yen to the Seishun 18 ticket.
- The Special Rapid Line (Between Maibara Station and Himeji Station)
- Moonlight Nagara (Between Tokyo Station and Ogaki Station)
The areas where the Seishun 18 ticket can be particularly useful are near larger cities along the rapid train line routes. Also, because there are many train lines that pass through the larger city area, there will be more transfers between the lines thus making for smooth transportation and savings if you have the Seishun 18 ticket. If you are travelling between the Kanto and Kansai area, using it in conjunction with lines like the Moonlight Nagara is recommended.
For those of you who enjoy a laid back style of travelling, the Seishun 18 ticket that allows you to get on and off trains as many times as you like, certainly has its appeal. Just a pointer to keep in mind when you travel through Japan.