15 + More, Wasabi Flavored Snacks from Japan
A feature on Japanese snacks, wasabi edition! Which one will captivate your tastebuds?!
1. Wasa-Beef w/ No Beef
We suspect the most famous wasabi flavored snack in Japan is the wasa-beef chips. Although, in this version they have removed the beef so all that is left is wasabi lol Rumor has it that they are extremely spicy.
Wasa-Beef w/ No Wasabi
There are also versions of these chips that have removed the wasabi flavoring… This one is not spicy at all. Since these chips are not exactly a wasabi product, this is a bonus introduction.
2. Ganko Age-Potato Chips Yaki-Nori (Baked Seaweed) Wasabi Flavor
3. Pringles Wasabi Mayonnaise Flavor
Mayonnaise goes with everything. So, naturally it is delicious paired with wasabi as well.
4. Kaki no Tane (Kaki-Peanuts) Wasabi Flavor
There is no one in Japan who dislikes or is unfamiliar with Kaki-peanuts, often abbreviated as Kaki-P. Once you start snacking on them, you won’t be able to stop.
5. Jagarico Wasabi & Soy Sauce Flavor
6. Potato Chips Horseradish & Soy Sauce Flavor
7. Wasabi-Nori Taro
A budget-friendly snack that has been around for a very VERY long time. I used to eat them often when I was a kid. They can be found at certain convenience stores even today so if you happen to come across one, why not give it a try. I highly recommend it.
8. Teshioya Wasabi/Salt Flavor
9. Pretz Rice Pretzel, Wasabi Flavor
10. Happy Turn Ume (Sour Plum) Wasabi Flavor
Another long-lasting popular snack that has jumped on this wasabi-bandwagon is the adorably wrapped Happy Turn rice crackers. The powder stuck to the crackers is referred to as “Happy Powder” and is said to bring you happiness. The Happy Turn crackers can be enjoyed on three levels in the following order; Happy Powder —> Ume —> Wasabi (sweet —> sour —> spicy).
11. Jagabee Wasabi Salt Flavor
12. Kinoko no Yama (Chocorooms) Wasabi Soft Serve Flavor
A Shizuoka wasabi soft serve ice cream flavored chocolate sweets. I wonder if there is a wasabi flavor for the Takenoko no Sato (Chococones), which is equally as popular as the Chocorooms.
13. Wasabi Ramune
14. Wasabi Caramel
15. Kit Kat, Tamaruya Honten Wasabi Flavor
Bonus #1: U.F.O. Wasabi Mayonnaise Flavor
Bonus #2: Ippei-chan Wasabi Mayonnaise Flavor
*This list includes seasonal items and items exclusive to certain regions.
GJ Personal Summary
- Must Try At Least Once: Kit Kat, Tamaruya Honten Wasabi Flavor
- Most Delicious: Happy Turn, Ume (Sour Plum) Wasabi Flavor
- Best Beer (Booze) Snack: Kaki no Tane (Kaki-Peanuts), Wasabi Flavor
- Quick/Handy Snacking: Wasabi-Nori Taro
- Spiciest: Wasa-Beef, w/ No Beef. It is great as a penalty/punishment food in games!
18 Best Ice Creams in Japan You Will Definitely Want to Try
Tips to Choosing the Perfect Souvenir Pocky: The Beloved Snack of 50 Years
Which to Try? 31 Snacks that are Japan’s Longtime Favorites